What do the new restrictions involve?
In brief: an Italian-style lockdown to force people to stay at home beyond a small range of very limited circumstances. Under the terms explained by Boris Johnson in his TV address, people will be allowed to leave home only for the following reasons:
- shopping for necessities, as infrequently as possible;
- one form of exercise a day, such as running or cycling, alone or with household members;
- for medical or care needs, for example to help a vulnerable person;
- travelling to and from work, but only if you cannot work from home.
- Meet friends, shopping for anything beyond essentials, and gathering in crowds of more than 2 are now banned.
For more info see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52000039 and also see https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/uk-lockdown-what-are-new-coronavirus-restrictions